The Commercial Cable Company was formed in 1883 to compete with other trans-Atlantic services. Founded by John W. Mackay (1831-1902), an Irish immigrant to the U.S. who made his fortune in silver mining, and J. Gordon Bennett (1841-1918), owner of the New York Herald, the company laid six telegraph cables between 1884 and 1923.
In 1928 the Commercial Cable Company merged with Mackay Radio & Telegraph and All America Cables, to form the American Cable & Radio Corporation, the major shareholder in this company being the International Telephone and Telegraph Corporation.
On November 1, 1961, this company was merged into the International Telephone and Telegraph Corporation.
Common Stock, issued in the 1950’s
Printed by the American Bank Note Company
8” (h) x 12” (w)
This certificate has vertical fold lines, punch hole cancels in the signature areas and body, and stray staple hole and markings.