In 1941, a crew of technicians, headed by the famous geologist, Max W. Ball, turned a depleted underground gas field, Austin Field, into Michigan's first natural gas storage facility. This allowed MichCon to purchase gas at lower prices during the summer months and store it for winter usage, a method that is still being used today.
In 1945, to ensure a natural gas supply to meet the increasing demand the Michigan-Wisconsin Pipeline was completed. In effect, MichCon (and its affiliated companies) shattered all precedents by going into the pipe line business themselves. In 1949, Michigan Consolidated Gas, the Milwaukee Gas Company, the Michigan-Wisconsin Gas Company, the Austin Field Pipeline Company and the Milwaukee Solvay Company became the American Natural Gas Company.
In the spring of 1951, floods washed out a section of Michigan Wisconsin Pipeline Company's (now ANR Pipeline Company) pipeline in Kansas, shutting off its supply to Michigan for about a week. While it was being replaced, storage fields near Austin supplied Michigan's and Wisconsin's gas needs. Certificate:
First Mortgage Pipeline Bond, issued in the 1970’sPrinter: Security-Columbian Bank Note Company Dimensions:
8” (h) x 12” (w) State: MI-Michigan
| WI-Wisconsin Subject Matter: Gas Companies
| Pipelines and Related Vignette Topic(s): Allegorical Featured
| Nude Subject Condition:
Vertical fold lines, punch hole cancels in signature areas and body and some stray staples and markings.