Deaf Smith County, Texas (Specimen Set of 5 Pieces)

Deaf Smith County, Texas (Specimen Set of 5 Pieces)
Item# 4060dscidc
$35.00

In 1876 the state legislature identified and named the Deaf Smith County, but it was not organized until 1890, with the town of LaPlata as the original county seat. The county was named for Erastus "Deaf" Smith (17871837), a partially-deaf scout and soldier who served in the Texas Revolution (the pronunciation of "Deaf", like that of Smith, is "Deef".) Smith was the first to reach the Alamo after its fall.

This county was also selected as an alternate site for a possible nuclear waste disposal repository but was later dropped as an official alternate site after funding was shifted to Yucca Mountain. Jesse Frank Ford, founder of Arrowhead Mills, led the opposition to the Deaf Smith site on grounds of contamination of the Ogalalla Aquifer, the source of much of the water supply for West Texas.


Certificate: Registered Bonds, specimen, late 1900s (Set of 5)

Printer: American Bank Note Company

Dimensions: 8 (h) x 12 (w)

State: TX-Texas

Subject Matter: Government Bonds | Specimen Pieces | Bulk Lots

Vignette Topic(s): Animal Featured | Livestock Featured

Condition: No fold lines, punch hole and stamp cancels in the signature areas and body.





All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.