Allis-Chalmers first entered the manufacturing business as E.P. Allis of Milwaukee in the 1840s. They made waterwheel, sawmill and grindstones. While originally incorporated in Delaware, the company soon became a major manufacturer of steam engines and industrial equipment in the Milwaukee area after merging with other firms—Fraser & Chalmers were a large steel and mining retort manufacturer. The company's presence in Milwaukee became so large that its plants were once used as a landmark there, and, in particular, its "west" plant may have lent its name to the city of West Allis. Allis-Chalmers entered into the farm equipment business in 1914 at about the time of the World War I. The company would also play a major part as a manufacturer in the World War II building pumps for uranium separation as part of the Manhattan Project and building electric motors for U.S. Navy submarines. Allis-Chalmers also built triple expansion marine steam engines for Liberty ships.
The company introduced a number of product lines including Agricultural Tractor, Implements, Industrial Tractor, Gleaner Combines, Hydroturbines, Valves and Pumps, Compressors, Electric Motors, Crushing and screening equipment, Comminution, Air Purification, Coal Gasification and Simplicity Garden Tractors. Allis-Chalmers was one of fourteen major electrical manufacturing companies that went to court in October 1937 to change the way unions excluded contractors and products in the building trades through the union use of the "Men and Means Clause". The action of Allis-Chalmers and others eventually resulted in the U.S. Supreme Court decision of June 18, 1945 that ended certain union practices that violated the Sherman Antitrust Act. A series of acquisitions were made by the company beginning in 1928 with the acquisition of Monarch Tractor Company. In 1931, the company acquired Advance-Rumely based in LaPorte, Indiana. Buda Engine Company, based in Harvey, Illinois was acquired in 1953. Two years later the company acquired Gleaner Harvester Company, and in 1959 it acquired the French company Vendeuvre. Also in 1959, Allis-Chalmers acquired Tractomotive Corporation located in Deerfield, IL. Allis-Chalmers also acquired Simplicity, which was later sold to its management in 1983.
In 1978 a partnership Siemens-Allis was formed, supplying electrical control equipment. Siemens bought Allis-Chalmers' interest in the company in 1985 and it was incorporated into Siemens' Energy and Automation division.
The company began to struggle in the 1980s in a climate of rapid economic change. It was forced amid financial struggles to sell its farm equipment division to K-H-D (Klöckner-Humboldt-Deutz) AG of Germany in 1985, the owners of Deutz-Fahr, which was renamed Deutz-Allis. Deutz-Allis later was sold to management and became what is now the AGCO Corporation (AGCO), and tractors were sold under the AGCO-Allis name - though later this became just AGCO. What remained of the manufacturing businesses were dispersed in 1998 and the company officially closed its offices in Milwaukee in January 1999 The remaining service businesses became Allis-Chalmers Energy in Houston, Texas.
In August, 2008, Briggs & Stratton
announced that it would sell lawn tractors under the Allis-Chalmers brand name.Close Up of Vignette
Common Stock, specimen, 1960’sPrinter: American Bank Note Company Dimensions:
8” (h) x 12” (w)State: WI-Wisconsin Subject Matter: Farming and Related
| Farm Equipment
| Specimen Pieces Vignette Topic(s): Allegorical Featured Condition:
No fold lines, punch hole and stamp cancels in the signature areas and body, very crisp.