Wellington Fund Inc.

Wellington Fund Inc.
Item# 4690
$25.00

Founded by Walter L. Morgan (whose printed signature appears on this piece) on December 27, 1928, Wellington Fund was formed as a “stand-alone” fund, and didn’t even adopt the Wellington Fund name until 1935 (it was originally called the Industrial and Power Securities Company). Three decades passed before it was joined by the Windsor Fund in 1958. In 1974, the Vanguard Group was formed, with the Wellington Fund becoming a charter member of the group.

The fund’s name was a result of Morgan’s admiration for the Duke of Wellington (known as the “Iron Duke.”) The Wellington name, furthermore, had not been used by other American financial institutions, which was not the case with the well-known United States heroes like Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, Lincoln, and others. Most important of all, Wellington was a name easy to remember; it was distinctive, and it had sort of indefinable air of quality about it that made it almost perfect as a name for a conservative financial organization.




Close Up of Vignette:




Certificate: Common Capital Stock Certificate, issued in the 1950’s

Printer: Security Note Company

Dimensions: 8” (h) x 12” (w)

State: De-Delaware

Subject Matter: Finance and Related | Investments and Funds

Vignette Topic(s): Train Featured | Power Plant Featured | Skyline Scene | Multiple Scenes

Condition: Vertical fold lines, punch hole cancels in the signature areas and body, and some toning and edge faults from age.





All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.