Like many private banks, Brown Brothers Harriman didn't start out in finance. Begun nearly 200 years ago as an importer of Irish Linen, the company
entered the banking business as a by-product of its success as a dry-goods merchant.
Brown Brothers Harriman & Company was created through the 1931 merger of Brown Brothers & Company, a merchant bank founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1818 with Harriman Brothers & Company, established in New York City in 1927, and A. Harriman & Company.
Its initial partners were:
W. Averell Harriman
E. Roland Harriman
Granger Kent Costikyan
Robert A. Lovett
The new firm shifted its emphasis from investment banking to commercial banking, investment advisory services and custody.
In 2003, the company moved from its signature location at 59 Wall Street, which it had built and occupied since the 1920s, to the Marine Midland Building at 140 Broadway.
Today Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. provides global financial services to the world's largest and most sophisticated mutual funds, hedge funds, asset managers, financial institutions, and insurance companies. Its accolades include being the #1 U.S. agent bank for 10 consecutive years and ranking as "The Best Custodian Ever" by Global Investor Magazine
We currently have the following pieces in our inventory that were issued to this historic firm: